In the winter of 1940, Mayor LaGuardia formally opened the Essex Market, the fourth of ten public markets in New York City designed to move pushcarts off the street and vendors into stall spaces within modern indoor markets. In the 20 years that followed, Essex Market became a center for food education, hosting weekly cooking classes during a time of food shortage. Today the market is home to a culturally diverse collection of small business owners, amongst them are grocers, butchers, and cheesemongers.
As construction wraps up across Delancey at the new Essex Market facility in Essex Crossing, the celebration reminds Lower East Side neighbors that the current market is open for business and staying true it’s mission of providing fresh and accessible food.
Market staff handed out cupcakes to shoppers from future vendor, Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery, who will join the new market at 88 Delancey this spring.